Author Topic: A snowy day in Brill  (Read 1977 times)

Tim Andrew

• Administrator
  • Brill webmaster and moderator
A snowy day in Brill
« on: January 02, 2011, 11:09:56 AM »
As a follow up to the foggy day in Brill video.....Here is "A snowy day in Brill" !

click on the white X bottom right, next to "vimeo" to watch this fullscreen. I suggest you let it load fully before watching - just check your emails for a moment or two and come back to it

TonyBurroughs

• Global Moderator
Re: A snowy day in Brill
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 04:54:08 PM »
Lovely Tim, thanks again.

What I find really interesting is how the fast time video reveals the wind direction.

The windmill faces about 200 degrees, about 7 o'clock on the clock face.

On 'Foggy' at about 2 mins 45 seconds you can see the wind is westerly (8 to 9 o'clock). You might remember that we had several days of north easterly and easterly wind just before you filmed which put us in the initial freeze. I think you must have got the first westerly wind for a week.

On 'snowy' at about 1 min 35 seconds you can see the wind coming from the north east, between 1 and 2 o'clock. Notice how the cloud forms immediately south of the hill. Cold air retains less water vapour than warmer air, so as the northerly wind is pushed upwards by Brill hill it cools and releases water vapour as cloud, which drifts off downwind.

They're both entertaining and a valuable archive, and we look forward to the next one.

Tony

« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 08:07:13 PM by TonyBurroughs »

Tim Andrew

• Administrator
  • Brill webmaster and moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 09:20:47 PM »
Yes, fascinating that the clouds are going in opposing directions at different levels - hence the ability of hot air balloons to navigate according to height. Don't hold your breath for the next one as it's a surprising amount of work producing these...

tomski

• come on you hoops
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 12:03:58 PM »
very good tim thanks  ;)