Author Topic: FAO Jane Strathdee - re trumpet book  (Read 3734 times)

TonyBurroughs

• Global Moderator
FAO Jane Strathdee - re trumpet book
« on: January 19, 2007, 11:33:34 AM »
Jane, I'm sorry to do business so publicly but I haven't been successful in contacting you any other way. Re your message on the old messageboard, I have Easy Winners trumpet in stock - available in 2 forms; with accompaniment CD @ 9.95, without at 5.95. Both versions will be at my house tonight if you're still in need of a copy,
Tony - Aylesbury Music 237762

Jane Strathdee

• Calendar Contributor
Re: FAO Jane Strathdee - re trumpet book
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007, 01:46:17 PM »
Hi Tony

Many thanks for the trumpet book.  Thomas is so inspired he hasn't stopped practicing!

I wonder if you have any suggestions for the care of a trumpet (never having had one before) we seem to get a lot of sticking valves and, after this week, we cannot remove the mouth piece.  Hope you don't mind me asking.

Jane (&Thomas)

:) :)

TonyBurroughs

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2007, 05:15:00 PM »
Jane,
Once again, strange to do business here but then again, why not - it's only internet trading! First of all, if the mouthpiece is stuck, don't attempt to get it out - it's very easy to split the lead pipe in doing so. We have a special puller for the job, I'll bring one home so bring your trumpet round and I'll unstick it for you. Correct procedure for putting the mouthpiece in is let it drop without any force then a slight twist of a few degrees will secure it. Keep the tapered part of the mouthpiece clean always.
As regards cleaning, we sell a 'curtain wire' trumpet cleaner which as the name implies is a flexible wire with a small bullet shaped brush on both ends. Remove the valves ensuring you note which one's which, they're not interchangeable. The valve number is usually marked on the valve and the corresponding number on the outside of the valve casing. It is permissable to immerse the instrument in warm water and plunge with the curtain wire brush (be prepared for what comes out!). once dry, a little valve oil down the outside of the valve and reassemble ensuring the valve guides are lined up with the channels inside the casing. This is best done by putting the valve in lightly then twist clockwise until you hear and feel the alignment click. You can then screw the outer collar down. This is very important else the lining will be scratched and sticking is likely to occur. You can clean the outside with a lacquer cloth and you can put little slide cream on the tuning slides occasionally to keep them running free. There is a 'Christmas tree' shaped brush to plunge the mouthpiece, and a cylindrical brush for the valve casing. We have all of these products in stock.
Finally the sticking valve - The valve casing has to be cylindrical for the valve to move up and down freely. If it's taken a knock it can put the cylinder out of true thus causing sticking. Only solution is a visit to the workshop for inspection and clean bill of health. Again, I can arrange. I don't know what instrument you have but I suspect it's a Yamaha YTR1335. The early models were prone to sticking and more recently Yamaha have been making the casing walls thicker! I'll call you when I have the puller here. Glad Thomas is enjoying it - fantastic instrument!
Tony
« Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 06:57:48 PM by TonyBurroughs »

Jane Strathdee

• Calendar Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007, 07:16:24 PM »
Hi Tony

Thanks for all that.  I will wait to hear from  you.  Telephone No: 237228 or email niall.strathdee@btconnect.com.  Sorry should have given you these last time but forgot!

Jane

Tim Andrew

• Administrator
  • Brill webmaster and moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 08:50:03 PM »
FYI  It's preferable NOT to put your email address on messages as you will get l-o-t-s of spam....If someone reads your message and wants to email you they have to first register and then click on the little envelop icon under your name. However in your case you've made your email hidden(recommended) to users (even those who have registered). People can still send you a message by using the "paper scroll" type icon below your name. You will get a message warning next time you go on the messageboard.

yrs anti-spam-warrior-Tim
« Last Edit: February 02, 2007, 09:00:08 PM by Tim Andrew »