Author Topic: Windmill  (Read 5920 times)

IanKeys

Windmill
« on: July 03, 2009, 07:07:27 PM »
I am trying to get my head round the replacement of the windmill....does anybody know if it a copy of an older windmill? Is there some info online? Thanks Ian

tomski

• come on you hoops
Re: Windmill
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 08:33:02 PM »
oh my god  ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? willy wonkers windmill factory

Tim Andrew

• Administrator
  • Brill webmaster and moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 09:51:04 AM »
The idea is to restore it to how it was before. Obviously it's a question of when, as it's been through many changes over the centuries. The previous restoration changed the character quite a lot, and I think it's gone back to how it was when last in working order under the Nixey's. In the Brillenium book page 57, there's a photo taken in 1910 which looks surpisingly similar to how it is now (without the fresh boards and paint! )

There's an official Bucks site about it
http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/bcc/brill_windmill/brill_windmill.page

Here's the photo which I hope the publishers will be OK with being reproduced for clarity about the restoration.

IanKeys

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2009, 03:55:54 PM »
Thank you Tim!!

tomski

• come on you hoops
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 11:49:13 AM »
yeah thanks tim, just a bit of a shock at the moment ::) i have a model windmill made by my gramp john blake from wood from the windmill when they changed the sails 1948 its been a long time since its had a outing so if someone would like to borrow it for a while it would be fine, perhaps even in the mill now.

Darrell

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2009, 12:50:33 PM »
Will the windmill have sailcloths on next weekend for the re-opening? (weather permitting of course!!)

Tim Andrew

• Administrator
  • Brill webmaster and moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2009, 02:31:42 PM »
Would love to borrow it when mill is complete to photograph it with the real mill

tomski

• come on you hoops
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2009, 03:13:03 PM »
Would love to borrow it when mill is complete to photograph it with the real mill
  no probs  we can arange a time perhaps later this week  i have your email.

Mark Bailey

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2009, 09:23:34 PM »
Will the windmill have sailcloths on next weekend for the re-opening? (weather permitting of course!!)

[Hi. Yes, I've looked into the possibility of putting the sail cloths on at some stage. Im confident that this wont be the case for the weekend Im afraid.  Thanks. Mark/quote]

Mark Bailey

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2009, 09:33:59 PM »
Hi. If you are interested in the model being housed within the mill's roundhouse contact me to discuss further (via Tim if you do not have my contact details). Thanks. Mark Bailey, Brill Windmill Project Manager

David Bigcheeseplant

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2009, 03:29:38 PM »
I see that the Windmill is due to reopen on July 9th, any idea if there is an official opening time?

David

Mark Bailey

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2009, 09:21:15 PM »
I see that the Windmill is due to reopen on July 9th, any idea if there is an official opening time?

David

Hi David
Thanks for the question.  
The 9th July does not mark a re-opening of the mill but instead marks the official completion of the main works contract of repair.  So, it would be interesting to know where you got that from?  The 9th July is a County Council event to be held with associated partners and funding organisations.  There still remains bits and bobs of work to complete on the mill - including final internal detail and completion a fire alarm system.  Clearly, Buckinghamshire County Council, as owner, has a duty of care to all visitors. Thus, there remains an outstanding legal requirement to have the repaired mill 'signed-off' in respect of risk and public liability before it can be re-opened to visitors and third parties. Fingers crossed, I hope to allow visitors back into the mill by the end of July 2009.  
Hope that clarifies the situation. Watch this space!
Best wishes.  Mark Bailey
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 09:09:41 PM by Mark Bailey »

Rob Furminger

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2009, 12:07:44 PM »
I have to say that while the restoration was taking place I was a little shocked at the level of work that was going on and did wonder what the result would be. Now all the fencing and scaffolding has been removed I really am impressed. It looks magnificent.

Also, thank you to everyone that helped organise and took place in the re-opening party. It was very well done and made a great afternoon.