Author Topic: Common Consultation Option: B + Directional Virtual Fencing  (Read 4146 times)

Tim Andrew

• Administrator
  • Brill webmaster and moderator
Common Consultation Option: B + Directional Virtual Fencing
« on: April 23, 2009, 10:12:40 PM »
Just a first thought after reading the consultation document/questionaire: How about using option B, which is to continue the present arrangement AND explore the possibility of trialling the "Directional Virtual Fencing" mentioned on page 17 of the Common-Management.pdf . Maybe putting a 2 year deadline on implementation as it's new technology?

enotsregor

Re: Common Consultation Option: B + Directional Virtual Fencing
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 01:05:10 PM »
Virtual fencing works by an animal wearing an electric shock collar from which it cannot escape. 

These devices are frowned upon by animal welfare groups and are already in the process of being banned in Wales under the Animal Welfare Act 2006.  Scotland is currently looking into this matter.

Tim Andrew

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 04:38:06 PM »
Ahh, I didn't realise there were issues about banning them. I assumed the electric shock would be no greater than conventional electric fencing, and more animal friendly than barbed wire etc?

freethecommon

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 08:39:04 PM »
Do some members of the Parish Council have some agenda in getting the fencing options pushed through as they have associations with FOBC / members of FOBC and will benefit from free grazing, having only had grazing rights tranfered to them in sept of last year?

tomski

• come on you hoops
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 08:29:24 AM »
grazing rights  ??? ??? ???  i could put a load of monkeys on the common if i want  ;D ;D

freethecommon

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 08:50:52 PM »
Not quite sure which fencing option would be best for monkeys!!!  So do you mean that anyone can graze livestock / monkeys? on the Common and benefit from the fencing?

Tim Andrew

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2009, 07:49:38 AM »
i could put a load of monkeys on the common if i want
You bring up an interesting point; just who can and cannot graze, and do you need a formal arrangement to do so?