Author Topic: Common and election campaign  (Read 4273 times)

brooney

Common and election campaign
« on: March 26, 2009, 08:45:53 AM »
Having been a resident of Brill for just under thirty years my involvement in village life  has been rewarding. Many memorable experiences which has included Parish council work for over 16 years.
It is with a certain amount of amazement that I have read the green paper submitted by a prospective candidate for council in the forthcoming elections
We are told  that Brill maybe ill prepared for future challenges If they are in the future how can we know what they are going to be? Council need a plan for the future we are told. From my experience the Council  has always looked ahead. Re the common every official body that concerns themselves with commons has been consulted and at this present time anyone can read the minutes of Parish discussions which can be found in the Minutes, Bernwode news and website The Parish Council are the trustees of our common. Of course there are plans for our inheritance and generations to come.  Is the candidate aware that grants etc are available for Common management? Obviously not when commenting on expenses.
When there was a village questionnaire the Common was top of the list but naturally there were other issues. There will be issues constantly and the P.C. does their best to sort them out. We needed a bus shelter we are going to get one, the young children needed improvements on their play area, they got it. The older ones were involved in discussions for them to have a shelter to sit in under cover, they got it. Through persistence and with the backing of the Brill Society  the Windmill is being restored.  Could name many more but space does not allow.
 I wonder why candidates do not familiarise themselves with Council work before stating what members should or should not do. A bit of information is a dangerous thing 
As an elector I personally would have appreciated been told  what the challenges are that Brill faces; what her ideas are for managing resources and other services Brill needs over and above the obvious, and lastly to how to persuade people who have issues not to wait until an election is imminent.
Brenda Rooney

Tim Andrew

• Administrator
  • Brill webmaster and moderator
Re: Common and election campaign
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 11:39:38 AM »
As the Parish Council election is this Thursday (7am-10pm, Memorial Hall), would it not be good for the candidates to express their ideas regarding the common, so we can form a better opinion BEFORE the vote...?!

tomski

• come on you hoops
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 05:46:31 PM »
thats what this forum is for ???

tomski

• come on you hoops
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 01:28:48 PM »
well done viv on her pc election :D

Tim Andrew

• Administrator
  • Brill webmaster and moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 01:40:21 PM »
So Vivienne won. Congrats!  What was the actual result: votes cast? Can't help being curious

tomski

• come on you hoops
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 04:26:49 PM »
not sure but i think it was 25o plus for viv 110 ish for the other?

enotsregor

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 04:22:31 PM »
The results of the Parish Council election were

Vivienne BROWN       262   (70%)
Donna MOSS            111   (30%)

Turn out was over 40% of the electorate. (high for a local election!)