Author Topic: shipperley family history  (Read 10440 times)

Harold Shipperley

shipperley family history
« on: September 30, 2007, 10:51:18 PM »
My name is Harold John Shipperley, I am 69 yrs & live in the New Forest. My grandfather, John Shipperley came from Brill. When I was a young boy he lived iUxbridge @ 9 George St. & died about 1948. My father, Harold Richard Shipperley was born in Uxbridge in 1904.
On 12th Sept. I came to All Saints Church for the 1st time & was amazed at the no. of Shipperley's memorials. I would appreciate contact from any local family members who can throw light on my family tree. I look forward to hearing from you.

barb

Re: shipperley family history
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007, 11:46:27 AM »
Hello My name is Barbara I lived in Brill and my sister married Slim
shipperley.  His brother name was Micheal, there home was located
11 the furs.  please contact me if these people are still living in Brill.
         Thank You

Harold Shipperley

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2007, 10:37:48 AM »
Barbara.

Unfortunately, without further feedback from the site I cannot help you. I only know my grandfather came from the village and I have no info. about any other Shipperley currently in the village. Sorry!

Tim Andrew

• Administrator
  • Brill webmaster and moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2007, 01:40:06 PM »
I hoped someone more knowledgeable about the Shipperley's would chip in....This is all I know:

Reg Shipperley (who died a couple of years ago) had about 6(?) children (and owned the donkey field). I only know vaguely of Ruth who lived in Temple St, but recently moved to Ludgershall a few miles down the road. Listed in the Brillenium Book there are quite a few Shipperley's  Reg, Alan & Florence, Keith, Ian, Roger, Beatrice & Cyril, + Miss B.

TonyBurroughs

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 12:18:54 PM »
Hello Harold,

Having noticed the absence of a reply to your enquiry, I mentioned it to Cyril Shipperley yesterday when I saw him. He wasnít familiar with the names youíve given but with little delay he presented me with a family tree which a family member had done. I noted there are references to John Shipperley though Cyril did point out that there are likely to be many. He said heís happy for it to be copied and despatched. Iím happy to do that. If youíd like a copy then please email your address to tony@amusic.co.uk and Iíll get it sent off to you.

Regards,

Tony Burroughs

MarkShipperley

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2007, 10:22:57 PM »
Itís surprising what Google throws up, on a somewhat dark night in December. Sorry if I`m replying to an old post but the content is somewhat interesting. I have popped onto Brill`s website a few times, and i must admit i`m not a frequent user. Anyway a reply to the Shipperley Family and Barb, My name is Mark Shipperley my dad is Grenville Shipperley his nick name is (Slim) as in Slim Whitman some singer from the USA. I lived at 11 the Firs pretty much all my live, but now live at the Old Spinning Wheel on the Square. If anyone wants to chat drop me an email. Regards Mark

julieshipperley

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 10:12:57 PM »
Hi all,
my hubbys family are shipperley's from Brill.I have a couple of johns in my tree that could be harolds grandad.One is born 1880 and another born 1820.Let me know any more info you have and I will see if there is a connection.
Hubbys grandad as john shipperley b 1906,who married Caroline Phillips.They moved to priestend,thame.
There are also Guntrips in his tree and i would be interested in hearing from any Shipperley or guntrip relatives.
bye Julie

Jilly McHaffie

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2008, 01:21:41 AM »
Hello. My name is Jilly Anderson (formerly Jilly McHaffie), a former Brill resident (12 The Square). I left Brill in the mid 1980's. It so happens that Ruth Shipperley and I have been friends for many years. However, in the past few years we have lost touch. I now live in the U.S.
Yes, Reg and Betty Shipperley have 6 children...John, Steven, Peter, William, Barbara, and Ruth. I have been wondering if the 9 Temple Street home was sold after Reg's death...I spent much of my childhood at their home.
Well, I hope someone sees this post...
Jilly

Jon Vaile

• Sports & Social Club - Admin
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2008, 09:15:26 PM »
Hello. My name is Jilly Anderson (formerly Jilly McHaffie), a former Brill resident (12 The Square). I left Brill in the mid 1980's. It so happens that Ruth Shipperley and I have been friends for many years. However, in the past few years we have lost touch. I now live in the U.S.
Yes, Reg and Betty Shipperley have 6 children...John, Steven, Peter, William, Barbara, and Ruth. I have been wondering if the 9 Temple Street home was sold after Reg's death...I spent much of my childhood at their home.
Well, I hope someone sees this post...
Jilly

Reg's house was sold after his death but has remained empty since. I believe the plan is to convert into smaller flats but with the current economic climate the purchaser may not be in any hurry to convert. I still play cricket with Steven (Snud) for Brill who now lives in Waterstock. Peter lives in Marsh Gibbon (see peterjohn.co.uk).

Jon   

ormandroyd

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2008, 08:43:38 AM »
Snud should be thinking of packing cricket in now he is just about to turn 50,and as for Bailey !!!!! :)

ann shipley

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2010, 07:08:52 PM »
My name is ann shipely,
my father was robert/bob shipperly born 1914 in brill then moved to harrow where he owned a cafe and met my mother. im 42 and have two sisters and two brothers older than me. my dad died 15 years ago and it has just come to light that he had 3 children from a previous relationship, i have no name and no dates but i would like to get in contact with anybody that may know any info about bob shipperly/shipley. the name change we have no info on why the name was shortened, his mother was called lillian shipperley. i also spent most of my childhood in brill at reg and bettys house. please if you have any infomation please contact me. 07944011552 or email anngleniffer@aol.com
thankyou

keithmac

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2010, 04:58:08 PM »
Hi

My name is Keith and I have been working on my family tree for ever.
My grandfather was a SHEPHERDLY, a modern, unique and rare spelling
of Shipperley/ee I believe.  My family were potters [another clue] who
turned up in the Amersham area in the late 18th century.

I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has researched the family, particurly in Brill, where they seem to have arrived about the same time as
the windmill.  But where did they come from originally?

pointer

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2011, 09:40:13 AM »
I have been researching my family history of Pointers (& Painters) in Brill.  Lots of interaction between the Pointers and Shipperleys of Brill along the way.  Would love to connect with others researching these families in Brill - and general Brill history - and of course anyone who knew the Pointers in Brill and surrounding areas.  (My great uncle, a Pointer, is commemorated on the Brill WW1 war memorial).