Author Topic: local produce list?  (Read 3481 times)

Tim Andrew

• Administrator
  • Brill webmaster and moderator
local produce list?
« on: June 26, 2007, 10:19:48 PM »
I was walking through Thame Tuesday market today, and picked up a bunch of asparagus for dinner, and was astonished to find they were grown in Bulgaria. I sort of assumed they'd be local...So where do you find the best local produce? I suggest we start a list of suppliers, say within 10 miles of Brill that genuinely sell locally grown fruit, veg, etc.

If you have a favourite place, reply to this message giving name, address, phone, and website of producer and any hot tips for getting fresh local farm produce.

Tim Andrew

• Administrator
Re: local produce list?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 10:26:29 PM »
There's Rectory Farm Shop in

Stanton St. John, Oxfordshire, OX33 1HF
01865 351214

more details:
http://www.local-food.net/directory/display.asp?id=192

Jon Vaile

• Sports & Social Club - Admin
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 10:03:44 AM »
Tim - if you buy out of season veg it's most likely imported. Check out most of the so called organic produce in Tesco's, Waitrose etc - Flown thousands of miles from Kenya, Chile, etc etc.

The best local produce ...............................................

is produced in Brill on the allotments.   

Tim Andrew

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 10:12:33 AM »
Yes I should have known better, it was a spur of the moment "hmm fancy some of those", but the point is that you shouldn't have to think about every purchase and it's origin. If we go to the right places they will only have in season local produce.

Agree; Brill allotments probably best place  ;D but then I might not have time to do the website.. :-\

Jon Vaile

• Sports & Social Club - Admin
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2007, 01:57:56 PM »
Pretty unrealistic these days unfortunately. If you want to know where anything has come from you have to read the small print. As 'consumers' we are told by the multiples that we are only interested in value for money, quality (sic) and choice. Read the story in the press about the Highgrove carrots and Sainsbury's for an insight into what's really going on.

enotsregor

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2007, 04:35:46 PM »
In response to your plea for locally sourced produce.

Did you know that it is possible to purchase locally home produced (Brill) traceable meat?  This is obviously in limited supply.

Lamb -  Sold in halves, professionally butchered in traditional manner to include roasting joints and chops.

Free range traditional breed pork.( E.g. Gloucester Old Spot, Tamworth, Oxford Sandy and Black.) Sold in halves -  To include roasting joints, chops and excellent sausages

For further information contact Clair.  Telehone   Brill 238046 or 07800 708947

Tim Andrew

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2007, 05:13:58 PM »
Thanks that's exactly the sort of message that we need here. Once there are a few more added I'll convert this thread into a permanent resource of local suppliers.