Author Topic: Call for Community First Responders  (Read 1566 times)

Tim Andrew

• Administrator
  • Brill webmaster and moderator
Call for Community First Responders
« on: July 18, 2016, 06:46:41 PM »
Posted on behalf of Charlotte:

South Central Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust has long subscribed to the fact that the quicker we can have a suitably trained person, with the appropriate equipment; to a member of the public during a life threatening emergency, the better the chance of survival and making a good recovery.

A few years ago, the charity division, “Community Responders”, was launched. This initiative depends on members of the community volunteering within their local area to respond to emergencies, to give lifesaving treatment, prior to the ambulance arriving.

Volunteers are given full training at one of our training Centre’s, explaining how to recognize and treat many life threatening medical emergencies. This ranges from cardiac arrest to strokes in the elderly down to infants, to name but a few of the situations volunteers may face.

On successful completion of the course, the newly appointed Community First Responders (CFRs) are supplied with a response kit, including an Automated External Defibrillator, breathing equipment and a mobile phone. The volunteer responders can then respond to an emergency in their local community and tend to the needs of the most vulnerable, whilst an ambulance is on route.

Due to the close proximity of the volunteer responder to the emergency, they are very often first on scene and their actions can directly affect the outcome of the patient, this will have an impact on the lives of their family and friends within your community.

Having suffered my first ever Anaphylaxis allergic reaction (having had no prior reaction to the allergen before!) in the depths of rural Wales, a rapid response was vital in treating me, and ultimately, saving my life. Having volunteers trained in the role of a Community First Responder will surely aid the recovery of many anaphylactic sufferers, like myself, due to their quick arrive at scene, and initial treatment they can provide, with the equipment they carry, until the arrival of the ambulance.
I have always greatly admired those who work on the Front Line for the Ambulance Service, and aspire to become a Paramedic myself. Volunteering for South Central Ambulance Service (SCAS) is such a fulfilling opportunity, and I would encourage anyone who also feels this way, to enquire about becoming a Community First Responder. SCAS are always looking for volunteers to be a part of this lifesaving scheme to help within their local community. If you would like to find out more, then visit our website http://www.scas.nhs.uk/get-involved/community-first-responders/
Or get in touch by email cfr@scas.nhs.uk or derek.flint@scas.nhs.uk or Telephone 07768635501